Monday, December 24, 2018

The Stories Behind My Favorite Photographs of 2018



www.chrissheppardphotography.com


Fairy Lake Tree, Port Renfrew, Vancouver Island

My Favorite Photographs of 2018!


Each of these ten photographs tell a story about places that are meaningful to me.  They come from near my home in the beautiful Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia. Places I have intimate knowledge of in all seasons and weather. 
I'm grateful to each of you who took the time to share and comment on my work this past year. A roller coaster of a year that was glorious and difficult at times but I always had my photographic art to turn to when I needed it the most.
With each photograph comes a short description of the work and my thoughts about the image as I remember each experience vividly.

I hope you enjoy and have a wonderful New Year!

Greenwich Blossoms, Annapolis Valley, N.S.
The vibrant colour of peach blossoms fill the orchard in the soft light between Spring showers. I drive by this scene nearly every day and have never had the time or conditions to make a photograph until this past year. This is the Annapolis Valley at blossom time! Absolutely beautiful.

Autumn Sunshine, Upper Vaughan, N.S.
There is nothing better than a road trip Hants County in the fall with no particular destination, just to be inspired by the breathtaking beauty that can be found all over rural Nova Scotia. I collect images in my mind of scenes like this as I drive along. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to capture them in a photograph. 


March Snowfall, Memorial Chapel at Grand Pré Park, N.S.
A peaceful walk through the Grand Pré National Historic Site as first light casts a glow on the Chapel and the morning is filled with the sound of snow melting away from the trees.

Mosquito Point at Sunset, North Grand Pré, N.S.
At the edge of the salt marsh near Mosquito Point as the setting sun paints the clouds with vivid colours over the Minas Basin. Seeing the outline of majestic Cape Blomidon in the distance will always make this feel like home. I grew up in North Grand Pré and as a child spent many hours exploring the beaches and marshes. On a technical note, I often use a long lens to capture my vision of a given scene. I love the graphic nature of this image.


Foggy Afternoon, Hirtles Beach n Lunenburg, N.S.
The sun breaks through the coastal fog revealing the drumlin cliffs and rolling surf at Hirtle's Beach near Lunenburg on the south shore of Nova Scotia. I had taken my kids to the beach on this hot summer day. Rarely would I get my camera out and work around so many people but I could not ignore the site of this house appearing and disappearing in the fog.

Twilight, Blue Beach
A sunset walk along the famous fossil beach on an outgoing tide took me through the mud to this ancient rock formation that looked incredible set against the sky at dusk over the Avon River. I stayed here in the breeze and watched the changing light.

Fallen Leaves, North Medford
On this autumn morning I see Coyotes on the beach in the twilight and as the sun rises I hike the upper shoreline enjoying the breeze that sends the leaves raining down from above the sandstone cliffs to be washed away at the next high tide.

November Moon over Paddy's Island, North Medford, N.S.
The full moon rising is visible for a very brief time through a gap in the storm clouds over Paddy's Island at low tide. This photograph is a favorite because it marked a return to photography after a very trying time in the year when I had great difficulty even picking up my camera, let alone planning any adventures. I'm so glad I forced myself out on this cool evening to visit my local "go to" photography location.

Vivid Reflection, Wolfville Watershed Nature Preserve


This photograph was taken in the stillness of first light at the Wolfville Watershed Nature Preserve on the South Mountain near Gaspereau. The simplicity and calm appeals greatly to me and the vivid colour is uplifting. Working at first light is my absolute preferred time of day.

Sunset, Shoe Bridge Ledge, Scots Bay, N.S.


As sunset nears the wind picks up a light rain from the East and for a brief moment the sun bursts through the clouds filling the basalt ledge high above Scots Bay with warm and magical light.

A few bonus photographs taken this past year...

Window on Cape Blomidon, North Medford, N.S.
Connection, Avatar Grove on Vancouver Island, B.C.

Golden Flame Agate Detail, Cape Split in Nova Scotia.

Thank you for supporting my work!



Gicleé prints of exceptional quality are done here in the Annapolis Valley and many sizes and framing options are possible. For beautiful portfolios, information on prints, equipment, licensing and more please visit the Chris Sheppard photography website below or email me at fundyrocksgroup@gmail.com.


Follow my adventures on the popular Fundy Rocks Facebook Page


4 comments:

  1. I am speechless when I watch your pics. They just send me right back to a certain past, a time when things were easier and I was happy then : my time in Nova Scotia 1985-86! Unforgettable! Never got the chance to go back there since then. I went to NS as a foreign TA at Acadia U, I am French. If only I could go back there before I die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful collection of what looks to have been a great year photographically. Here's wishing you further success in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I absolutely love your work! Each and every picture is enthralling and certainly depicts such innate talent. You are definitely photographer master-minded. I look forward to each work of art....awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work, here and on your main website - the care you put into your compositions is most apparent (and something that I should think about more, in my often happy-go-lucky hand-held approach to photography...). I am fascinated by the agates (the entire series), and "Vivid Reflections" is so calming and serene. All the best for 2019.

    ReplyDelete